Bal Gangadhar Tilak Jayant 2019, Lokmanya Tilak 163rd Birth Anniversary. Bal Gangadhar Tilak was a teacher, advocate, journalist, scholar, mathematician, philosopher, and a reformer who helped lay the foundation for India’s independence by building his own defiance of British rule into a national movement.
Born on July 23, 1856 in Maharashtra’s Ratnagiri, Bal Gangadhar Tilak is famously known as ‘Father of Indian unrest’. After graduating in 1877, Tilak completed his LLB from Government Law College, Bombay. He finally decided to take up journalism as his career and founded two newspapers namely- Kesari and Mahratta in English and Marathi respectively.
His articles in these newspapers were blended with a couple of purposes and these were to oppose the policies of oppression adopted by the British rule and to encourage his fellow Indians through his writing.
Bal Gangadhar Tilak, was popularly known as Lokmanya, and dedicated his life for the cause of “Purna Swaraj” (complete self-rule).
He was called ‘The Father of the Indian Unrest’ by the British people who ruled India till 1947.
Being the first and foremost leader of the Indian Independence Movement, Bal Gangadhar Tilak became popular as the ‘Father of Swaraj’.
Bal Gangadhar Tilak founded the Indian Home Rule League and served as its president and in 1916 he concluded the Lucknow Pact with Mohammed Ali Jinnah, which provided for Hindu-Muslim unity in the nationalist struggle.
Tilak who is known as the propagator of Indian Nationalism joined the Indian National Congress in the year 1890 when Mahatma Gandhi had returned from South Africa.
The Famous Sentence of Him:
- The geologist takes up the history of the earth at the point where the archaeologist leaves it and carries it further back into remote antiquity.
- Progress is implied in independence. Without self-government neither industrial progress is possible, nor will the educational scheme be useful to the nation.
- If god is put up with untouchability, I will not call him god.
- If we trace the history of any nation backward into the past, we come at last to a period of myths and traditions which eventually fade away into impenetrable darkness.’
- Our nation is like a tree of which the original trunk is swarajya and the branches are swadeshi and boycott.
- Life is all about a card game. Choosing the right cards is not in our hand. But playing well with the cards in hand determines our success.
- Swaraj is my birthright, and I shall have it
- To be successful, you need family and friends but, to be very successful, you need enemies and competitors.
- The problem is not the lack of resources or capability, but the lack of will.
लोकमान्य तिलक को उनकी जयंती पर कोटि-कोटि नमन। देशभक्ति की भावना से ओतप्रोत वे एक ऐसे स्वतंत्रता सेनानी थे, जिन्होंने पूर्ण स्वराज के लिए अपना जीवन समर्पित कर दिया। कृतज्ञ राष्ट्र उनके योगदान को सदैव स्मरण करता रहेगा। pic.twitter.com/1YJYz0tNbH
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 23 July 2019